Saturday 7 February 2015

Beginnings

This blog covers something that I have been thinking about for some time. In the 1970s my two brothers and I populated our wargames armies with a then new range of budget figures by Ros Figures, the same company that was producing 1/300 scale armoured fighting vehicles.  Between us we amassed a load of Napoleonic figures, mostly French, British and Prussian.  By today's standards these figures are crude and in some cases ugly - especially the French line infantry. I read on another blog that the Ros Frenchman was the most ugly wargame figure produced! Those who have read my 20mm Douglas Miniatures Crimean blog will know that I am a glutton for punishment; however, for me, Ros Figures mark an era when I probably had more fun with wargames figures than any other time.

The Ros 25mm figure range was very short lived. I am not sure when they folded, but it was probably in the late 70s, when the new Miniature Figurines and Hinchliffe figures appeared.

The aim of this blog is to record this short lived range and attempt to find samples of the whole range. Occasionally odd figures crop up on ebay etc and I have a fair number in my collection. From an advertisement in Military Modelling in 1975 I can see the range was mostly Napoleonic, but some ancients and American Civil War figures are also noted. These last two ranges are a mystery to me, but I am on the hunt for samples and I am sure they will show up.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has samples of or information about these figures.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, fascinating blog. When you say 'the same company that was producing 1/300 scale armoured fighting vehicles', are we talking about 'Heroics & Ros'? Best, Seb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but yes, Ros figures were the forerunner of Heroics and Ros. Indeed, the 1/300 armour range used to appear in the same adverts as the 25mm figure back in the late 70s.

      Delete